Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Lionel Richie- Can't Slow Down


I guess Can't Slow Down won A Grammy for Album of the Year in 1985(Really?) At one time the founding member of The Commodores, Richie's first solo album was in 1982 and sold 4 million albums. Can't Slow Down sold over 20 million copies worldwide. You might be one of those lucky people that own this album. 20 million people can't be wrong? Right? Listen Carefully to the background vocals. Yes, that is Richard Marx you hear.



Side 1
1) Can't Slow Down- The opening sounds like something Mike Post wrote for an 80's television theme song. Can't Slow Down should be faster, It shouldn't remind me of people on the beach. Feathered hair for the girls and Speedos for the men. (2 1/2 out of 4)

2) All Night Long (All Night)- Oh yeah, sipping a Drink with an umbrella in it. This is Lionel Richie to me. I use to sing this on the graveyard shift. He was up All night so much he needed to put it twice. Once in parenthesise.(3)

3) Penny Lover- Here is my two cents. You bore me Penny Lover. This song does remind me about this girl in grade school who swallowed two dimes. You can't even play this song to a bank teller and have them sleep with you. (2)

4) Stuck on You- Cue 80's character finding themself. Driving down on open road while learning a lesson(2)

Side 2
1) Love Will Find a Way - Trying to be Marvin Gaye will not get you any Sexual Healing from me. (1)

2)The Only One- Remember when you first dropped a deck of cards and they fell everywhere. All the card looked the same until you looked closer. I am looking closer. I have a deck of 5 of clubs. (2)

3) Running with the Night- I really liked this song. I didn't think I would, but it really gets stuck in your head. Bonus points to David Cochrone for a great guitar solo. (2 1/2)

4) Hello- Richie at His Best. It is hard to listen to the other ballads on the album when this one is so good. Put it on your outgoing voice mail now. Freak out some friends. "Hello, is it me you're looking for."(3 1/2)

No comments: