Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Hand-me-down toys: Husker Du (Guest Post Katie Foster)

As the youngest of four children (much younger, I might add), I was often the recipient of "hand-me-down toys". Many of the toys I played with are probably older than most readers of Brad's blog.
One of my favorites as a kid was Husker Du (pronounce Hoosker Doo). This game was first released in 1970 by Endless Games; it was shortly after that my sister received it as a gift.
Husker Du was a kind of memory game where you placed little black disks over the pictures. Then there was a wheel on the side of the board game that would move the pictures under the plastic pieces so each time you had a "new" matching game. There were probably only 4 possible "matching games" involved.
When I was old enough to play this game (probably around 1985) the box was a bit damaged from 3 older siblings playing; the wheel didn't always move with ease - but I sure thought the game was FUN! I NEVER won and I could never figure out why! I now realize it was probably b/c for 15 yrs my siblings had been playing this game over and over again - memorizing the matching combinations - DREAMING about mercilessly teasing their poor, defenseless little sister SOMEDAY. ((((sigh))) Oh the agony of being the youngest - My mother still has this game (somewhere) since she has a real problem with "letting go". Perhaps this Thanksgiving I'll get it out and play ... I Bet I can win against some kid who's never played! - by Katie Foster

1 comment:

bradleyjdor said...

Readers I have never heard of Husker Du the Game only Husker DU the Band. They did get their name from the game. -Brad